Tuesday 21 June 2011

Cirugìa

Monday at the hospital I saw a cholecystectomy—gallbladder removal. It was pretty cool to see once, but after that I was bored. So now I know surgery is not for me. The gallbladder that was removed was so bloated with fluid and it had about 50 or more gallstones filling it. It was also obstructed and didn’t have any bile in it. It was pretty crazy. We saw two surgeries like this, but nothing as crazy as what I just described. So after clinic, we went to eat lunch and try to figure out how to get back for classes. We ended up having to take two buses because we got turned around, but we eventually made it back.
Today we just did rounds, saw patients, and sat in on a presentation on fluid and electroltye maintenence. It was given by one of the residents. I can understand so much more when its written down. I noticed in Ecuador the doctors don´t have a great bedside manner during rounds, its proably the same in the US. They just talk about the patient in front of the patient and don´t really warn them if they are about to take off their blankets or lift up their shirt. I guess the patients are use to that here.

I´m trying to plan a trip to the coast of Ecuador for this coming weekend. I hope its amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment