Thursday 30 June 2011

Differences

So here are some things I`ve noticed in the differences of the U.S. and Ecuatorian ways of doing surgery.

I will also say that I haven´t actually witnessed a surgery in the U.S. but here are things that I`ve seen in surgery here which I have a feeling would be different in the U.S.
So theres a lot less of the safety precautions. The patients don`t wear wrist bands and they don`t do a timeout before the procedure just to make sure they have the right pt and the right procedure. At least its not verbal. The doctor asks the patients a few questions...I didn`t hear him ask her name though.

In fact, the patient walks into the surgery room and lays down on the table. The anesthesiologist starts doing her/his thing and the other nurses and what not start setting up the sterile field.
Also, you can just walk in the surgery room, you don`t need to be scrubbed in as long as you dont go near the sterile fields.

The doctors and med students here also always seem to have their phones on them and pick up when called. But the funny thing is the ringtones. Today the anesthesiologists phone went off in surgery and it was like a pop song.  Oh another thing I saw the other day, was the anesthesiologist playing a game on facebook inbetween his monitoring the patient....haha I dont think that would ever go down in the U.S.

Anyway, their sterile procedre and everything else is good.
Today one of the patients vomited during surgery. She wasn`t under general anesthesia, just spinal.
Anyway, that`s all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment